Tuesday, December 13, 2011

DQ's

The second half of first grade is definitely my favorite:) I love seeing all the things they can do now and how independent they've become.

One of the things I add to my partner reading portion of my Reading Workshop are "Door Questions" (I call them that because every year I have the questions hanging on the bathroom door.)

After the partners finish reading their book they go to the door and talk about each question. I start with one question and gradually add one at a time.

 I sit nearby and act like I'm doing something else:) and listen and take notes about any strengths or difficulties.

I also use these same questions as jumping off points during my shared reading lessons with the whole group and my guided reading groups. I really am amazed at the student's abiltiy to read these questions and the higher level thinking and sense of community created between partners.

No comments:

Post a Comment