Thursday, December 15, 2011

Behavior Management

Well towards the middle of the year I always feel like my students start acting more like brothers and sisters than classmates. Tattling is always such a tedious thing to deal with, especially when it is about every little thing.

 To help with this I use a very simple strategy from the very beginning of the year... I have them say "Please follow directions" to the student who is not behaving appropriately. If the rule breaker continues THEN they can come and let me know. 

 The beauty of it is if the rule breaker stops after being reminded IT ENDS THERE without me having to step in at all. It really has changed my class. It empowers students to solve their own problems in a quick and respectful way. ( I do let them know if a person is doing something that could be harmful to themselves or others that they should tell me immediately.)

 I think it is pretty awesome to hear my "rule followers" reminding the others nicely and to see the ones that need reminding starting to follow suit more often.

                           

No comments:

Post a Comment