Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Arrival - PALS time

I try to get my kids on task right when they get in the door in the morning.

As soon as they unpack their homework I pair them up quickly with another student who has also just come in and they complete an oral phonics/fluency activity called PALS. I was trained on this by my district last year and I love it. I kind of tweaked it to fit my style but I really have seen results!

It basically requires one student to be the "pointer" and the other to be the "reader" once they have completed both sides they switch roles.

 I have student numbers in my classroom and I alternate between "higher number" days and "lower number" days so they figure out whose student number is higher/lower and that is who points first.

I walk around and monitor this for correct behavior (on task, sitting correctly etc.) alot at the beginning of the year, so hopefully by now I don't have to address so many behaviors. 

When partners finish reading they either move to independent reading/AR (higher readers) or read with me at the back table(strugglers).

You can check out the PALs website by clicking  HERE












No comments:

Post a Comment